Monday 8 September 2014

RPGaDay - Days 27 and 28

#RPGaDay

Day Twenty Seven – Game you’d like to see a new/improved version of

I’ve been thinking and thinking and thinking and still don’t have an answer. I’m going to borrow Husbit’s answer and go with Cyberpunk because it is clunky and heavy, but I like some of the detail gone into helping build a character background. It feels a bit of a cheat because there is a new version coming and because I prefer ShadowRun and you can run a straight cyberpunk-style game using that.

Day Twenty Eight – Scariest game

Husbit’s rendition of the Coffin Rock scenario in Deadlands, which I’ve mentioned previously, certainly had moments that freaked me out, and there were scenes in the Final Fantasy based Homebrew that gave me more shivers than anticipated, but for scariest game I’m torn between two.

The first is the Renraku Arcology Shutdown campaign in ShadowRun, which our GM was very keen to run and which some of the players regretted letting him do (although I enjoyed it immensely). The scene that particularly springs to mind is when my character, Kamaya, had managed to get herself separated from the rest of the group and fell into a toy shop – at which point, all the dolls’ heads turned to look at her and spoke to her by name. With the music he’d chosen and the expression on his face, it was one of those chilling moments that sticks with you.

The second has come up on my blog before. “A Town Called Crossfire” (first section of link), being run by my friend Pete.

We spent the first part of the game goofing around and roleplaying as students on summer break having fun and basically avoiding the plot hooks and hammers until he railroaded us into the game he wanted to run, which involved entering an abandoned mine labelled as “dangerous” and “no entry” (we were being all obedient and listening to the signs). The mine lead to another city, one eerily akin to the one above, but shadowy and darker. I don’t remember much about the game except I think the idea was to seek out the ruler of this city and the overwhelming level of creepy eeriness that Pete managed to create.

It seems to me the trick to a good creepy game is all down to the GM’s ability to act.




With thanks again to Autocratik

No comments:

Post a Comment