Friday 28 August 2015

#RPGaDay2015 - Day 28, Favourite game you no longer play

ShadowRun or Werewolf? Werewolf or ShadowRun?..

Both were incredible games and I miss both, but part of me is terrified to play either again because they were so great and I don't think a new version could live up to my nostalgia for those campaigns. 

Only I'm a bit older now and would like to play them again. I've played a lot more games and could probably cope better with the fact different groups can play the same game in different ways.

I'm really struggling to pick between the two - I love the spiritual aspect of Werewolf, and the intimacy of the pack creates a close bond between the player characters that leads to fun roleplay when everyone is invested in the game. Meanwhile, ShadowRun combines fantasy with cyberpunk and creates something wonderful. Again, you can create groups who are tight-knit and reliant on each other, or you can focus on the mistrust and suspicion. You can also play at the extreme ends of ability and danger, and I like that flexibility in a system.

I think I miss ShadowRun as a game more, because I think it's my pack I miss most about Werewolf.

 

6 comments:

  1. I like SR, especially shamans. Never played Werewolf (or any WOD games actually)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like SR, especially shamans. Never played Werewolf (or any WOD games actually)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first SR charter was an adept until the GM got the Magic in the Shadows supplement that has an adept-shaman option, so we moved her into that and that was a really fun option

      Delete
    2. My first SR charter was an adept until the GM got the Magic in the Shadows supplement that has an adept-shaman option, so we moved her into that and that was a really fun option

      Delete
  3. I miss Earthdawn... Not many people play it but those that do love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to play it - your posts were very inspirational and I have a friend locally who's a fan. Frustratingly, we don't have an opportunity to meet regularly to play it. It has been added to my list, though.

      Delete